Sanga

Krsna conscious, like sudden sunshine

I was with several devotees in Srila Prabhupada's room at our small temple in Edinburgh, Scotland. As he was sitting, a shaft of sunlight entered the window and lit up the whole room. Srila Prabhupada remarked with a wave of his hand, "When you become Krsna conscious, it is just like that."… Expand>

I was with several devotees in Srila Prabhupada's room at our small temple in Edinburgh, Scotland. As he was sitting, a shaft of sunlight entered the window and lit up the whole room. Srila Prabhupada remarked with a wave of his hand, "When you become Krsna conscious, it is just like that."

Svati D.D., from a 1978 BTG

See also: Gita 5.16

^ Show less

Description of a Krsna conscious person

A Krsna conscious person does not make much endeavor even to maintain his body. He is satisfied with gains which are obtained of their own accord. He neither begs nor borrows, but he labors honestly as far as is in his power, and is satisfied with whatever is obtained by his own honest labor. He is therefore independent in his livelihood. He does not allow anyone's service to hamper his own service in Krsna consciousness. However, for the service of the Lord he can participate in any kind of action without being disturbed by the duality of the material world.… Expand>

A Krsna conscious person does not make much endeavor even to maintain his body. He is satisfied with gains which are obtained of their own accord. He neither begs nor borrows, but he labors honestly as far as is in his power, and is satisfied with whatever is obtained by his own honest labor. He is therefore independent in his livelihood. He does not allow anyone's service to hamper his own service in Krsna consciousness. However, for the service of the Lord he can participate in any kind of action without being disturbed by the duality of the material world. The duality of the material world is felt in terms of heat and cold, or misery and happiness. A Krsna conscious person is above duality because he does not hesitate to act in any way for the satisfaction of Krsna. Therefore he is steady both in success and in failure. These signs are visible when one is fully in transcendental knowledge.


Srila Prabhupada; BGAII 4.22 purport

^ Show less

Your mercy, Swamiji

Once Srila Prabhupada was speaking to a wealthy Indian woman in Malaysia. She was the wife of a government minister, and he was hoping to persuade her to help him build a temple. This was in 1971, before any ISKCON temple had been built. As Srila Prabhupada spoke to the woman, she continually agreed and smiled. "Yes, yes, Swamiji," she said, folding her palms in pranamas. She seemed enthusiastic about Krsna consciousness, so after a while Srila Prabhupada showed her a sketch of three altars in a temple (which eventually became the Krishna-Balaram Temple in Vrndavana, India). Taking the sketch out of his white vinyl case, he handed it to her and said that since she appreciated the value of Krsna consciousness so much, she could assist in spreading it for the benefit of others.… Expand>

Once Srila Prabhupada was speaking to a wealthy Indian woman in Malaysia. She was the wife of a government minister, and he was hoping to persuade her to help him build a temple. This was in 1971, before any ISKCON temple had been built.
As Srila Prabhupada spoke to the woman, she continually agreed and smiled. "Yes, yes, Swamiji," she said, folding her palms in pranamas. She seemed enthusiastic about Krsna consciousness, so after a while Srila Prabhupada showed her a sketch of three altars in a temple (which eventually became the Krishna-Balaram Temple in Vrndavana, India). Taking the sketch out of his white vinyl case, he handed it to her and said that since she appreciated the value of Krsna consciousness so much, she could assist in spreading it for the benefit of others.
"With your mercy, Swamiji," she replied, folding her palms.
"My mercy is already there," he said.
"With your mercy, Swamiji," she repeated. She was shying away.
Then Srila Prabhupada told a story: A man who had slipped into a well cried, "Help! Help! Get me out of the well!" Someone came with a rope and lowered it into the well. "Take the rope and I will pull you out!" he shouted. The person in the well cried out, "Help! Help me take the rope!"
Srila Prabhupada laughed warmly and said that the mercy of the spiritual master is already there and you can take it. But you have to take his mercy so he can pull you out of illusion. If you don't take it, what can be done?


Told by Amogha Dasa
From a 1991 BTG

^ Show less

Don't retire, work for Krsna

Foolish persons or neophytes in Krsna consciousness often want to retire from activities without having knowledge of Krsna consciousness. Arjuna's desire to retire from activities on the battlefield was not approved by the Lord. One need only know how to act. To retire from the activities of Krsna consciousness and to sit aloof making a show of Krsna consciousness is less important than actually engaging in the field of activities for the sake of Krsna.… Expand>

Foolish persons or neophytes in Krsna consciousness often want to retire from activities without having knowledge of Krsna consciousness. Arjuna's desire to retire from activities on the battlefield was not approved by the Lord. One need only know how to act. To retire from the activities of Krsna consciousness and to sit aloof making a show of Krsna consciousness is less important than actually engaging in the field of activities for the sake of Krsna.

Srila Prabhupada, BGAII 4.15 ppt.

^ Show less

First vidhi, then raga (more)

Vaidhi-bhakti means discharging devotional service under regulative principles. Without vaidhi-bhakti you cannot jump to raga-bhakti. Raga-bhakti is spontaneous. That does not require any regulative principles. Out of love, out of feeling, anyone wants to serve Krsna, that is called.... That is gopis. All the inhabitants of Vrndavana, they did not undergo any regulative principles. But spontaneously, they are always ready to serve God, Krsna. That is called raga-bhakti.… Expand>

Vaidhi-bhakti means discharging devotional service under regulative principles. Without vaidhi-bhakti you cannot jump to raga-bhakti. Raga-bhakti is spontaneous. That does not require any regulative principles. Out of love, out of feeling, anyone wants to serve Krsna, that is called.... That is gopis. All the inhabitants of Vrndavana, they did not undergo any regulative principles. But spontaneously, they are always ready to serve God, Krsna. That is called raga-bhakti.

Just like a mother, as soon as there is child, baby, she takes care. She does not go to a school [to learn] how to take care of a child, but automatically she takes care. Similarly, this automatically serving Krsna, that is called raga-bhakti. That is reached by vidhi-bhakti, by practicing.

Just like formerly there was child marriage -- a small boy, a small girl. But simply by association the girl understands how to serve the husband and the husband also understands how to give protection to the wife, and mostly, the life was very pleasing, happy. From the very beginning she knows, "Here is my husband," and he knows, "Here is my wife." At least we have seen in our India. There is no question of separation. There is no question of divorce. The love is there from the very beginning. The propensity was there, and immediately the object of love is there. A girl has got husband; a husband has got a wife. So the love continues spontaneously.


Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.41 -- January 16, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

First vidhi, then raga

Without vidhi-bhakti you cannot reach to the platform of raga-bhakti, although that is our aim. Raganuga, raga-bhakti is executed following the footprints of the devotees in Vrndavana. That is called raga-bhakti. Krsna's personal associates. Not to become directly Krsna's personal associate, but following the footprints of Krsna's eternal associates we can come to the stage of raga-bhakti.… Expand>

Without vidhi-bhakti you cannot reach to the platform of raga-bhakti, although that is our aim. Raganuga, raga-bhakti is executed following the footprints of the devotees in Vrndavana. That is called raga-bhakti. Krsna's personal associates. Not to become directly Krsna's personal associate, but following the footprints of Krsna's eternal associates we can come to the
stage of raga-bhakti.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.35-36 -- January 12, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

enthusiastic, positive

Rupa Gosvami says that spiritual life can be advanced, the first principle is utsaha. Utsahat. Utsaha means enthusiasm: "Yes, Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]. I will accept it and work enthusiastically on the principle, as Krsna says." Krsna says, man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65], and we have to do it, execute it enthusiastically: "Yes, I shall always think of Krsna." Man-manah. Krsna says directly, man-mana bhava mad-bhaktah, "You just become My devotee."… Expand>

Rupa Gosvami says that spiritual life can be advanced, the first principle is utsaha. Utsahat. Utsaha means enthusiasm: "Yes, Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]. I will accept it and work enthusiastically on the principle, as Krsna says." Krsna says, man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65], and we have to do it,
execute it enthusiastically: "Yes, I shall always think of Krsna." Man-manah. Krsna says directly, man-mana bhava mad-bhaktah, "You just become My devotee." So we have to be enthusiastic, "Yes, I shall become Krsna's devotee." Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji. Krsna says, "Worship Me," so we should be very much enthusiastic to worship Krsna, offer mangala-arati,
rise early in the morning. These are all enthusiasm, utsaha. Those who are not enthusiastic -- lazy, lethargetic -- they cannot advance in spiritual life. Simply sleeping, they cannot make. One must be very, very enthusiastic, positive.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.30 -- January 7, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Srimad-Bhagavatam and newspapers

Don't talk nonsense. Or if you talk of Krsna, then nonsense talking will stop automatically. Now you know that in our institution there are so many European boys and girls. In their own country they are very, very much fond of newspaper. If there is no newspaper, they think life is horrible. But you won't find a piece of newspaper in our temple, because they have stopped talking all nonsense. Only this Bhagavad-gita, Bhagavata. This is called vacamsi vaikuntha gunanuvarnane. They are no more interested with this nonsense talking of the newspaper. Vacamsi vaikuntha-gunanuvarnane. This is advancement of spiritual life.… Expand>

Don't talk nonsense. Or if you talk of Krsna, then nonsense talking will stop automatically.

Now you know that in our institution there are so many European boys and girls. In their own country they are very, very much fond of newspaper. If there is no newspaper, they think life is horrible. But you won't find a piece of newspaper in our temple, because they have stopped talking all nonsense. Only this Bhagavad-gita, Bhagavata. This is called vacamsi vaikuntha gunanuvarnane. They are no more interested with this nonsense talking of the newspaper. Vacamsi vaikuntha-gunanuvarnane. This is advancement of spiritual life.

I have heard one story from a gentleman, how newspaper is important in Western country. We have seen also, big, big bunch of newspaper thrown in every door. They subscribe. So one priest was preaching among the miners in Sheffield, where there are many coal mines, in England. So he was speaking that "You become devotee, followers of Jesus Christ," and in this way he's
preaching Bible. So one of the miners, he never heard of Bible nor Jesus Christ. So he inquired, "What is his number?" That means he thought Christ may be one of the miners, and they have got specific number. So he said, "No, you are mistaking. Jesus Christ is Lord. He is not one of you, like worker. No. He's Lord. So if you don't appreciate him, don't worship him, then you will go to hell." Then another man asked, "What is hell?" And he described that "Hell is very dark. It is very moist," and so on. "There is
no air there, no light, and..." So they are living always in the mine. There was no response, because they are habituated with this hellish life. [laughing] So the description of hell did not appeal. Then the priest was intelligent, said, "You know there is no newspaper." Then they said, "Oh, horrible!" [laughter] "It is horrible."

So that newspaper is so important in the Western countries. Even the miners and the most fallen people, they also read newspaper. And these boys and girls who you are seeing, not only here, there also, they don't care any more for any newspaper, any magazine, except Srimad-Bhagavatam. This is a fact. This is Krsna consciousness. Sa vai manah krsna-padaravindayor vacamsi vaikuntha-gunanuvarnane [SB 9.4.18].

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.31 -- January 8, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Our Krsna consciousness movement

Our Krsna consciousness movement is genuine, historically authorized, natural and transcendental due to its being based on Bhagavad-gita As It Is. It is gradually becoming the most popular movement in the entire world,… Expand>

Our Krsna consciousness movement is genuine, historically authorized, natural and transcendental due to its being based on Bhagavad-gita As It Is. It is gradually becoming the most popular movement in the entire world,

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bg Preface

^ Show less

The subject of Bhagavata class

...here we are having Bhagavata class. This is not ordinary Bhagavata class, not jumping over Krsna's rasa-lila. It is not like that. It is step by step studying what is Krsna, what is this material world, what is the sambandha, or relationship with Krsna -- so many things -- how this body has developed, how we have forgotten Krsna, how to revive our Krsna consciousness. These things must be studied first of all. Then we can understand what is Krsna's pastimes with the gopis. But these professional Bhagavata preachers, they go, jump over at once.… Expand>

...here we are having Bhagavata class. This is not ordinary Bhagavata class, not jumping over Krsna's rasa-lila. It is not like that. It is step by step studying what is Krsna, what is this material world, what is the sambandha, or relationship with Krsna -- so many things -- how this body has developed, how we have forgotten Krsna, how to revive our Krsna consciousness. These
things must be studied first of all. Then we can understand what is Krsna's pastimes with the gopis. But these professional Bhagavata preachers, they go, jump over at once.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.31 -- January 8, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Hearing from Mayavadis means spiritual death

One who comes in touch with the Mayavadi... Mayavadi means one who thinks Krsna is also in maya. That is called Mayavadi. "Krsna's body is also maya." They are called Mayavadi. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu warns that mayavadi-bhasya sunile haya sarva-nasa: anyone who listens to the commentary of the Mayavadi philosopher, then his fate is doomed. He is finished. He will never be able to understand bhakti philosophy. It is so poisonous.… Expand>

One who comes in touch with the Mayavadi... Mayavadi means one who thinks Krsna is also in maya. That is called Mayavadi. "Krsna's body is also maya." They are called Mayavadi. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu warns that mayavadi-bhasya sunile haya sarva-nasa: anyone who listens to the commentary of the Mayavadi philosopher, then his fate is doomed. He is finished. He will never be able to understand bhakti philosophy. It is so poisonous.

Therefore Sanatana Gosvami has warned not to hear from avaisnava about Krsna. There is a very famous Bhagavata reader in Bombay. He is a pakka avaisnava. But he is going on, and he is infusing poison -- those who are hearing him, they will never be able to understand what is Krsna. They will never be able. It is so poisonous.

Therefore Sanatana Gosvami says, avaisnava-mukhodgirnam putam hari-kathamrtam, na sravanam na kartavyam: "Avaisnava, who is not Vaisnava, who is not devotee, if he speaks about Bhagavad-gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam, nonsense..." He will speak nonsense. So it is not good.

Avaisnava-mukhodgirnam putam hari-kathamrtam, sravanam na kartavyam: "You should never hear." On principle you should avoid hearing from such rascals. This is the injunction of Sanatana Gosvami. "Why? He is speaking Bhagavad-gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam. Why one should not hear? Bhagavad-gita is very nice." That's all right. He gives the example, sarpocchistam payo
yatha. Milk... Everyone knows milk is very good food. But if it is touched by the lip of a serpent, then it is finished. Then it is finished. He will die. If you take such milk, then your destiny is to death.


Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.30 -- January 7, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

With firm faith, work as ordered by guru,then life is successful

We should have firm faith, niscaya.But niscayat; at the same time, you should not sit idly. You should work according to the direction of the spiritual master. "Now Krsna has given me assurance. Now let me sleep. Everything will come automatically." No. Tat-tat-karma-pravartanat [Upadesamrta 3]. The spiritual master says, "You must do this," you must do that. That is called tat-tat-karma-pravartanat. Not that "Now I am initiated and..."… Expand>

We should have firm faith, niscaya.But niscayat; at the same time, you should not sit idly. You should work according to the direction of the spiritual master. "Now Krsna has given me assurance. Now let me sleep. Everything will come automatically." No. Tat-tat-karma-pravartanat [Upadesamrta 3]. The spiritual master says, "You must do this," you must do that. That is called tat-tat-karma-pravartanat. Not that "Now I am initiated and..."

Vaisnava principle is you must act according to the order of spiritual master.  This is called vyavasayatmika buddhi. Vyavasayatmika buddhi, niscayatmika buddhi, means with good faith that "I must execute it. That is my life and soul." If we take that, then our life is successful.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.30 -- January 7, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Be patient, don't be disappointed

Utsahad dhairyat. Dhairya means patience, not that "Because I have begun devotional service with great enthusiasm..." So you are already on the perfectional platform, but if you become impatient, that "Why I am not becoming perfect? Sometimes why maya is kicking me?" Yes. That is habitual.… Expand>

Utsahad dhairyat. Dhairya means patience, not that "Because I have begun devotional service with great enthusiasm..." So you are already on the perfectional platform, but if you become impatient, that "Why I am not becoming perfect? Sometimes why maya is kicking me?" Yes. That is habitual. That will go on. It will stop. Niscayat. Dhairyat, niscayat, that "When Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66], now I have given up everything. I have no other occupational duties -- simply to serve Krsna. So when I have taken to it, then niscaya, Krsna will surely give me protection." That is called niscaya. Don't be disappointed. Krsna is not a false speaker. He says, aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.30 -- January 7, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

The duty of the devotee

Preya means immediately palatable, and sreya means ultimately beneficial. That is called sreya. Just like for a child, playing is priya, preya. He likes to play. But he is by force, by the parents, he is studied books. That is called preya. But because without education his future life will be dark, so parents know it.… Expand>

Preya means immediately palatable, and sreya means ultimately beneficial. That is called sreya. Just like for a child, playing is priya, preya. He likes to play. But he is by force, by the parents, he is studied books. That is called preya. But because without education his future life will be dark, so parents know it. Therefore, although the child likes to play -- that is preya -- the parents engages them into sreya, into education. So that is the Vaisnava's duty.

These rascals and fools, they are busy in material sense gratification, and it has become the duty of the devotee. Because the devotees mean the servant of the supreme father, Krsna. So they have been engaged. Just like Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, yare dekha, tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa [Cc. Madhya 7.128]. So devotees are so confidential servant of the Supreme Lord; therefore they are engaged in preaching Krsna consciousness. They have no business for themself -- they are completely perfect as soon as they have accepted Krsna -- but they are working on behalf of Krsna to turn these two-legged animals to become Krsna conscious.

This is the meaning of Krsna consciousness movement.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.29 -- January 6, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

High Speed Japa: the Math

(Edited. Author unknown. Found on the internet.) Ever heard of the 3-minute round? Ever seen Krishna devotees who chant relatively slow finish their 16 rounds in one and a half hour? I have, and still do, and it never fails to amaze me. The maha-mantra consists of 16 names, of 2 syllables each: hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare… Expand>

(Edited. Author unknown. Found on the internet.)


Ever heard of the 3-minute round? Ever seen Krishna devotees who chant relatively slow finish their 16 rounds in one and a half hour? I have, and still do, and it never fails to amaze me.

The maha-mantra consists of 16 names, of 2 syllables each:

hare krishna hare krishna
krishna krishna hare hare
hare rama hare rama
rama rama hare hare

You will find that with some practice, you can chant this mantra fairly quickly and still maintain an accurate pronunciation. However, to chant 108 of these mantras in 3 minutes requires that you can't take more than 1.67 seconds per mantra and can't breathe in between mantras. Go ahead, get a stopwatch and try to chant one mantra under 1.7 seconds. You'll find that this is sheer illusion, especially if you expect to do that 108 times in a row on just one breath of air.

Let's give it a bit more time, say 2 seconds per mantra. That is still pretty fast. And let's throw in some quick breathing time, too. Say 1 second after every 3 mantras (not very liberal, but let's see where that gets us). Now a round will take 108 x 2 = 216 seconds, plus 108 / 3 = 36 seconds for breathing. That makes almost 4 and a half minutes. If you keep this pace up without fail or interruption, you will finish your 16 rounds in one hour and seven minutes. Hey, that is less than one and a half hour! Yes, but it is also still not realistic. In reality, most devotees can't and/or don't chant all their 16 rounds straight, without interruption, breathing only once every three mantras . Also, at this pace you better concentrate like a yogi, as the margin for errors in pronunciation and the chances for skipping beads or names is substantial.

Realistically, a comfortable fast pace sets you at about 3 seconds per mantra, with a slightly more liberal 1.5 second breath after every two mantras. That makes (3 x 108) + (108 / 2 x 1.5) = 6 minutes and 45 seconds for a round. Add 3 seconds between rounds for the panca-tattva mantra (if chanted) and you will chant your 16 rounds in (16 x 3 x 108) + (108 / 2 x 1.5) + (15 x 3) = a bit more than 1 hour and 48 minutes. Here, too, the key is maintaining a sustained pace. Every distraction or extra breath, or other type of delay, adds to the time.

As a personal "reality check," I suggest you sit down with a stopwatch and chant how you normally chant. Once you're up to your normal speed and feel comfortable (probably somewhere after half a round), switch the stopwatch on and off to capture the time it takes you to chant a single mantra. Note that down. Now capture the time it takes you to chant 32 mantras in a row. Divide the time by 32. This is your raw chanting speed and does not take into account any extras besides your normal breathing pace. Note the difference with the speed for just a single mantra. You can use the table below to figure out how long it should take you to chant all your 16 rounds without interruption:

Raw 16 rounds Assessment

2 seconds
58 minutes
Sheer illusion.

3 seconds
1 hour, 27 minutes
Keep dreaming.

4 seconds
1 hour, 56 minutes
Realistic, fast.

5 seconds
2 hours, 25 minutes
Realistic, relaxed.

6 seconds
2 hours, 54 minutes
Realistic, slow.

7 seconds
3 hours, 23 minutes
Too slow.

8 seconds
3 hours, 52 minutes
Way too slow.

9 seconds
4 hours, 22 minutes
Spacing out to the max.

10 seconds
4 hours, 50 minutes
Anybody home?

Most chanters will fall in range between 4 and 6. If you take more than 3 hours to chant 16 rounds uninterruptedly, chances are that you are not very focused. If you range between 2 and 3, I suggest that you seriously question yourself about the quality of your chanting -- especially in regards to pronunciation and skipping of names or beads.

I have personally seen slow chanters finish a round on their beads faster than fast chanters, and then discovered that when they chant with a clicker (tally counter) that they click every half of the mantra, or twice per mantra. I have seen devotees who chant with their beads in open view do the same thing, two beads per mantra. In this way they really only chant 8 rounds, not 16. Needless to say that most do not appreciate it when you point this out. Skipping of names or beads is not uncommon at all, and is usually the result of poor chanting habits developed early on (often because the emphasis lies more on quantity than quality -- "Gotta get those 16 rounds in.").

Since it is indeed very hard to keep the mind focussed, these bad habits can go unnoticed for years on end. The good news is that they can be "unlearned". One simply has to take the time to, so to say, start over again. In the beginning, go for quality. Chant at a pace where you can clearly and fully pronounce each and every syllable. Pay attention to the number of names and the entire mantra. There's a flow and a rhythm. Do that for a couple of days and then slowly increase the speed. As soon as you find that the speed affects the quality, go slower again. As with certain martial arts, like Tai-Chi, everything that is learned slowly maintains its accuracy when executed quickly. Muscles "remember" better at slower speed. The tongue is a muscle, too. Practice.

Good luck!

^ Show less

Give it to Krsna

Bhakti means you must engage your senses fully, with more enthusiasm, but it should be for Krsna. That's all. If you want to do business, do it very nicely, but give the profit to Krsna. Yat karosi yaj juhosi yad asnasi, kurusva tad mad-arpanam [Bg. 9.27]. Krsna says, "Give it to Me." … Expand>

Bhakti means you must engage your senses fully, with more enthusiasm, but it should be for Krsna. That's all. If you want to do business, do it very nicely, but give the profit to Krsna. Yat karosi yaj juhosi yad asnasi, kurusva tad mad-arpanam [Bg. 9.27]. Krsna says, "Give it to Me." That is bhakti. Nothing is stopped, but you cannot do anything unlawful. Bhakti does not mean you can do anything unlawful. But ultimate issue: whatever you do, if it is for Krsna, that is rightful.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.28 -- January 5, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Hospital blankets and Krsna consciousness

This is Krsna consciousness. You have to act by the desires of Krsna. That is the proper use of your senses. You cannot use for your purpose. Anything... Just like you are working in some establishment. Anything in that establishment, you can use for the proprietor's business. You cannot use it. Just like in hospital there are blankets. It is written there, "Hospital Property." So long you are in the hospital, you can use it. But you cannot take it outside. Then you are criminal. Similarly, everything... Isavasyam idam sarvam [Iso mantra 1].… Expand>

This is Krsna consciousness. You have to act by the desires of Krsna. That is the proper use of your senses. You cannot use for your purpose. Anything... Just like you are working in some establishment. Anything in that establishment, you can use for the proprietor's business. You cannot use it. Just like in hospital there are blankets. It is written there, "Hospital Property." So long you are in the hospital, you can use it. But you cannot take it outside. Then you are criminal. Similarly, everything... Isavasyam idam sarvam [Iso mantra 1]. Everything belongs to God, and you can use it for the service of God. Tena tyaktena bhunjitha ma grdhah kasya svid dhanam. This is the instruction, Vedic instruction. You can use it as prasadam, but everything should be offered to the Supreme. Yajnarthe karmanah loko 'yam karma-bandhanah [Bg. 3.9]. If you do not do that, if you engage yourself always in good activities, as the karmis they do, and earn money and use it for your own sense gratification, that is papa.
yajna-sistasinah santo
mucyante sarva-kilbisaih
 bhunjate te tv agham papa
ye pacanty atma-karanat
 [Bg. 3.13]
Those who are cooking in the kitchen very palatable dishes for satisfying the tongue, they are simply eating sinful things. Ye pacanty atma-karanat. So therefore, if we become sinful every moment, how we can become happy? It is not possible. If you want to become happy, you have to become pious. And the standard of piety is to become Krsna conscious, devotee of Krsna. That is the highest perfection of life.


Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.28 -- January 5, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Rupa and Sanatana Goswamis' prayers of surrender

(These prayers were submitted by Rupa and Sanatana Goswamis, at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, on the occasion of their first meeting.) CC Madhya 2.188-206: jaya jaya sri-krsna-caitanya daya-maya patita-pavana jaya, jaya mahasaya… Expand>

(These prayers were submitted by Rupa and Sanatana Goswamis, at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, on the occasion of their first meeting.)

CC Madhya 2.188-206:


jaya jaya sri-krsna-caitanya daya-maya
patita-pavana jaya, jaya mahasaya

"All glories to Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the most merciful savior of the fallen souls! All glories to the Supreme Personality!

nica-jati, nica-sangi, kari nica kaja
tomara agrete prabhu kahite vasi laja

"Sir, we belong to the lowest class of men, and our associates and employment are also of the lowest type. Therefore we cannot introduce ourselves to You. We feel very much ashamed, standing here before You.

mat-tulyo nasti papatma
naparadhi ca kascana
parihare 'pi lajja me
kim bruve purusottama

"Dear Lord, let us inform you that no one is more sinful than us, nor is there any offender like us. Even if we wanted to mention our sinful activities, we would immediately become ashamed. And what to speak of giving them up!"

patita-pavana-hetu tomara avatara
ama-ba-i jagate, patita nahi ara

Both brothers submitted, "Dear Lord, You have incarnated to deliver the fallen souls. You should consider that in this world there is none so fallen as us.

jagai-madhai dui karile uddhara
tahan uddharite srama nahila tomara

"You have delivered the two brothers Jagai and Madhai, but to deliver them You did not have to exert Yourself very much.

brahmana-jati tara, navadvipe ghara
nica-seva nahi kare, nahe nicera kurpara

"The brothers Jagai and Madhai belonged to the brahmana caste, and their residence was in the holy place of Navadvipa. They never served low-class persons, nor were they instruments to abominable activities.

sabe eka dosa tara, haya papacara
papa-rasi dahe namabhasei tomara

"Jagai and Madhai had but one fault--they were addicted to sinful activity. However, volumes of sinful activity can be burned to ashes simply by a dim reflection of the chanting of Your holy name.

tomara nama lana tomara karila nindana
sei nama ha-ila tara muktira karana

"Jagai and Madhai uttered Your holy name by way of blaspheming You. Fortunately, that holy name became the cause of their deliverance.

jagai-madhai haite koti koti guna
adhama patita papi ami dui jana

"We two are millions and millions of times inferior to Jagai and Madhai. We are more degraded, fallen and sinful than they.

mleccha-jati, mleccha-sevi, kari mleccha-karma
go-brahmana-drohi-sange amara sangama

"Actually we belong to the caste of meat-eaters because we are servants of meat-eaters. Indeed, our activities are exactly like those of the meat-eaters. Because we always associate with such people, we are inimical toward the cows and brahmanas."

mora karma, mora hate-galaya bandhiya
ku-visaya-vistha-garte diyache phelaiya

The two brothers, Sakara Mallika and Dabira Khasa, very humbly submitted that due to their abominable activities they were now bound by the neck and hands and had been thrown into a ditch filled with abominable stoollike objects of material sense enjoyment.

ama uddharite bali nahi tri-bhuvane
patita-pavana tumi----sabe toma vine

"No one within the three worlds is sufficiently powerful to deliver us. You are the only savior of the fallen souls; therefore there is no one but You.

ama uddhariya yadi dekhao nija-bala
'patita-pavana' nama tabe se saphala

"If You simply deliver us by Your transcendental strength, then certainly Your name will be known as Patita-pavana, the savior of the fallen souls.

satya eka bata kahon, suna, daya-maya
mo-vinu dayara patra jagate na haya

"Let us speak one word that is very true. Plainly hear us, O merciful one. There is no other object of mercy within the three worlds but us.

more daya kari' kara sva-daya saphala
akhila brahmanda dekhuka tomara daya-bala

"We are the most fallen; therefore by showing us Your mercy, Your mercy is most successful. Let the power of Your mercy be exhibited throughout the entire universe!

na mrsa paramartham eva me
srnu vijnapanam ekam agratah
yadi me na dayisyase tada
dayaniyas tava natha durlabhah

" 'Let us submit one piece of information before You, dear Lord. It is not at all false but is full of meaning. It is this: If You are not merciful upon us, then it will be very, very difficult to find more suitable candidates for Your mercy.'

apane ayogya dekhi' mane pan ksobha
tathapi tomara gune upajaya lobha

"We are very depressed at being unfit candidates for Your mercy. Yet since we have heard of Your transcendental qualities, we are very much attracted to You.

vamana yaiche canda dharite cahe kare
taiche ei vancha mora uthaye antare

"Indeed, we are like a dwarf who wants to capture the moon. Although we are completely unfit, a desire to receive Your mercy is awakening within our minds.

bhavantam evanucaran nirantarah
prasanta-nihsesa-mano-rathantarah
kadaham aikantika-nitya-kinkarah
praharsayisyami sanatha-jivitam

" 'By serving You constantly, one is freed from all material desires and is completely pacified. When shall I engage as Your permanent eternal servant and always feel joyful to have such a fitting master?' "

^ Show less

Unless free from anarthas, bhakti not substantial

Bhakti-yoga means hearing and chanting: chant Hare Krsna and hear Srimad-Bhagavatam. That's all. Sit down together, all the family members, and chant Hare Krsna and read some passages from Bhagavad-gita or Srimad-Bhagavatam. This is bhakti-yoga. If possible, install Deity, worship it properly. There is no need of going to cinema, restaurant, eating all nonsense. This will be automatically finished.… Expand>

Bhakti-yoga means hearing and chanting: chant Hare Krsna and hear Srimad-Bhagavatam. That's all. Sit down together, all the family members, and chant Hare Krsna and read some passages from Bhagavad-gita or Srimad-Bhagavatam. This is bhakti-yoga. If possible, install Deity, worship it properly. There is no need of going to cinema, restaurant, eating all nonsense. This will be automatically finished. Anartha. These are anartha, unwanted things. Anartha-nivrttih syat. If you take to this devotional
service, bhakti-yoga, the anarthas, unnecessarily nonsense things -- smoking bidi, cigarette, drinking tea, going to the cinema, restaurant, and so many other -- they are not required. What is the necessity of these things? If you say there is some ananda, that is not ananda. Ananda is here, to hear about the Supreme Lord. Sravanam kirtanam visnoh [SB 7.5.23] -- that is ananda. This is not ananda. This is false ananda. But we are accustomed to this. That is our misfortune. Anartha. So to come to the bhakti platform, one has to become free from the anarthas. Otherwise bhakti will not be substantial.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.28 -- January 5, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Why ghosts create disturbances

One who commits suicide becomes a ghost. Ghost means he does not get this material body. He remains in the subtle body, mind, intelligence. Therefore ghost can go because he is in the mind. Mind speed is very strong. If you have got this material body, you cannot go immediately hundred miles off.… Expand>

One who commits suicide becomes a ghost. Ghost means he does not get this material body. He remains in the subtle body, mind, intelligence. Therefore ghost can go because he is in the mind. Mind speed is very strong. If you have got this material body, you cannot go immediately hundred miles off. But if you are in the mental body, you can go immediately, thousand miles
immediately, within a second. So the ghost, they can play something wonderful. But they are not happy, because they have no gross body. They want to enjoy. He's materialist. He has committed suicide for some material want. So he is in want of fulfilling material desire. He could not fulfill in this body, therefore commits suicide. But the desire is there. The desire is there, and he cannot fulfill it. He becomes perplexed. Therefore the ghost creates disturbance sometimes.

Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.27 -- January 4, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Preaching: the best policy to control the mind

The best policy to control the mind is to desire how to spread Krsna consciousness. This is the best. Kamah krsna-karmarpane. Narottama dasa Thakura has said that you cannot be free from desire. That is not possible. This is useless attempt. They say that "You become desireless." No, that is not possible.… Expand>

The best policy to control the mind is to desire how to spread Krsna consciousness. This is the best. Kamah krsna-karmarpane. Narottama dasa Thakura has said that you cannot be free from desire. That is not possible. This is useless attempt. They say that "You become desireless." No, that is not possible. How can I...? If I become desireless, I become dead. So long I am living entity, I must desire. I cannot check it. Therefore kama means desire. So at the present moment, we are desiring how to become happy in this material world, how to acquire so much money, how to acquire this, how to acquire this, how to get this, how to get that. This is kama. So this brain taxation, if you engage in Krsna's service -- how to spread Krsna consciousness, how to convince people about Krsna, how to take them to the Krsna's desire, sarva-dharman parityajya [Bg. 18.66] -- and in this way, if
you go on making plan for spreading Krsna consciousness, then your mind is controlled.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.27 -- January 4, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

varnasrama educational system

It was the custom of the brahmanas -- they would not accept anyone's service. They will sit down anywhere and open a school for teaching Vedic literature. Pathana, pathana. He will personally become learned, and he will teach others. And the students, they will go from door to..., brahmacari, door to door for begging, "Mother, give me some alms." And they will give, because their students are there in the gurukula or catuspathi. … Expand>

It was the custom of the brahmanas -- they would not accept anyone's service. They will sit down anywhere and open a school for teaching Vedic literature. Pathana, pathana. He will personally become learned, and he will teach others. And the students, they will go from door to..., brahmacari, door to door for begging, "Mother, give me some alms." And they will give, because their students are there in the gurukula or catuspathi. So whatever they will bring, that will be cooked and offered to Krsna, and the prasadam will be distributed amongst themselves. This was the process, not twenty rupees' fee and give some bribe to enter into the school, and that is also all rascal education. No. First-class education, without any fee, from the realized soul -- that was educational system, varnasrama-dharma.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.27 -- January 4, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Increasing rascaldom

Once one becomes rascal, he becomes more and more and more and more and more.… Expand>

Once one becomes rascal, he becomes more and more and more and more and more.

Srila Prabhupada, Room Conversation -- January 3, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

surrender fully

Our whole program is surrender. And these Western boy, they do not want to surrender to anyone. Is it not? There is no question of surrender. They have surrendered [laughs] to some extent to me; that is wonderful. Otherwise there is no question of surrender. And our business is surrender. Unless you surrender fully, there is no progress.… Expand>

Our whole program is surrender. And these Western boy, they do not want to surrender to anyone. Is it not? There is no question of surrender. They have surrendered [laughs] to some extent to me; that is wonderful. Otherwise there is no question of surrender. And our business is surrender. Unless you surrender fully, there is no progress.

Srila Prabhupada, Room Conversation -- January 3, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

The end of the oil civilization

This contemporary civilization is so proud of its independence, but actually it is so much dependent on oil. If the oil supply is stopped, then what will these rascal scientists do? They cannot do anything. Let them try to manufacture oil in their test tubes, enough oil to run their civilization on.… Expand>

This contemporary civilization is so proud of its independence, but actually it is so much dependent on oil. If the oil supply is stopped, then what will these rascal scientists do? They cannot do anything. Let them try to manufacture oil in their test tubes, enough oil to run their civilization on.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SSR 6g: The Tiny World of Modern Science

^ Show less

The Indian disease

In India, "Oh, Vasudeva, we know everything of Vasudeva," "Hare Krsna, oh, What you can teach? We know everything." This is the Indian disease. Because familiarity breeds contempt. Because Indians are familiar with the name of Vasudeva, with the name of Hare Krsna, they think...… Expand>

In India, "Oh, Vasudeva, we know everything of Vasudeva," "Hare Krsna, oh, What you can teach? We know everything."

This is the Indian disease. Because familiarity breeds contempt. Because Indians are familiar with the name of Vasudeva, with the name of Hare Krsna, they think...

Just like in Europe and American cities these boys and girls, they go for sankirtana, and the Indian people, they say, "Oh, we know everything about it. We have now come here to learn how to eat meat, how to drink wine." This is the condition.

And the leaders, they are also leading in that way: "Give up this Vedic culture. Throw away." The leaders say openly that "Throw away your sastras in the water. No more sastra. Now you take to industry, technology, if you want to become happy just like the Americans, like the Europeans." So the leaders, such leaders have been described in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, andha. Andha means blind. They do not know how to lead people, what is the aim of life.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.26 -- January 3, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

to Prithu, BVKS, Shyamasundara, (Krsna), (ISKCON)

Because they heard of our program in Bombay along with the Zavery sisters Manipuri Dancers, here in London they had arranged one program of lecturing by me along with a recital by one man playing on the vina just to attract attention to my speaking. I am not in approval of such arrangements, and it will be dangerous thing in future if we begin this type of program just to attract the masses.… Expand>

Because they heard of our program in Bombay along with the Zavery sisters Manipuri Dancers, here in London they had arranged one program of lecturing by me along with a recital by one man playing on the vina just to attract attention to my speaking. I am not in approval of such arrangements, and it will be dangerous thing in future if we begin this type of program just to attract the masses. Already I see this happening practically all over the Society, so better we stop it now and get ourselves firmly on the track chalked out for us by Lord Caitanya. We are simply Sankirtana men, our program is chanting, dancing, distributing prasadam, and speaking high philosophy, that's all.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Letter to: Madhudvisa  --  London 8 July, 1972

^ Show less

No program just to attract the masses; be firm on Caitanya's track

Because they heard of our program in Bombay along with the Zavery sisters Manipuri Dancers, here in London they had arranged one program of lecturing by me along with a recital by one man playing on the vina just to attract attention to my speaking. I am not in approval of such arrangements, and it will be dangerous thing in future if we begin this type of program just to attract the masses. Already I see this happening practically all over the Society, so better we stop it now and get ourselves firmly on the track chalked out for us by Lord Caitanya.… Expand>

Because they heard of our program in Bombay along with the Zavery sisters Manipuri Dancers, here in London they had arranged one program of lecturing by me along with a recital by one man playing on the vina just to attract attention to my speaking. I am not in approval of such arrangements, and it will be dangerous thing in future if we begin this type of program just to attract the masses. Already I see this happening practically all over the Society, so better we stop it now and get ourselves firmly on the track chalked out for us by Lord Caitanya. We are simply Sankirtana men, our program is chanting, dancing, distributing prasadam, and speaking high philosophy, that's all.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Letter to: Madhudvisa  --  London 8 July, 1972

^ Show less

Srila Prabhupada to Hrdayananda on how to push on Krsna consciousness

...our task ahead is very huge, but it will be quite simple and easy if you simply do as I am doing. (From Srila Prabhupada's Letter to: Hrdayananda -- New York 9 July, 1972. The full letter is shown below.)… Expand>

...our task ahead is very huge, but it will be quite simple and easy if you simply do as I am doing.

(From Srila Prabhupada's Letter to: Hrdayananda  --  New York 9 July, 1972. The full letter is shown below.)


Letter to: Hrdayananda
--
New York
9 July, 1972
72-07-09
[To Hrdayananda]
Now you must all three, along with the other sannyasis, GBC members, and other leaders become very serious to actually give the human kind the greatest welfare, namely, this Krishna Consciousness movement. Your task ahead is very huge, but it will be quite simple and easy if you simply do as I am doing. You must become conversant in every feature wherever it is needed throughout the society. Out first business is to preach to the devotees and to maintain the highest standard of Vaisnava education. Management must be there as well, just as I am preaching daily from S. Bhagavatam, B.G., but I am also going to the bank, making investments, seeing the trial balance making letters, seeing how things are going on, like that. So you must become expert in all these matters, just as I am giving you example . . . Syamasundara has passed on your telephone message that you wish to open a Vedic college or school of higher Krishna Consciousness education there at Houston. That is not very much desirable. Actually, every center should be a college, and this is our training, singing dancing, working, temple worship, like that . . .
Try to understand the subject matter from different varieties or approaches. For example, we know from Bhagavad-gita that Krishna says He is the taste in water. Now try to understand just how Krishna is that taste in water, that is the high-class education.

 

^ Show less

Srila Prabhupada's letter to Jai Prakash Narayan‚ 1 July 1975

(Jai Prakash Narayan was a nationally known figure in India; his fast in protest against what he saw as the corrupt and increasingly undemocratic government of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was a major political event.)… Expand>

(Jai Prakash Narayan was a nationally known figure in India; his fast in protest against what he saw as the corrupt and increasingly undemocratic government of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was a major political event.)

Dear Sri Jai Prakash Narayanji,
Please accept my greetings. I am hearing from the newspapers that in India there is some upheaval on the ground of political activities. I have also heard that you are observing "fast" and it has given me some concern. I think that your goodness and Srimati Indira Gandhi are equally well wishers of India, but there is a difference of opinion only. Under the circumstances I would request you to give up this fasting. If you and Indira Gandhi sit down together, I can give you some suggestions on the basis of Sri Srimad Bhagavad Gita, and this will solve all of the problems of India. Perhaps it is known to you that I am leading the Hare Krishna Movement all over the world. I am glad to inform you that the movement is appreciated by the thoughtful educated circles in the western countries. They are seriously reading my English translations of the Vedic instructions, and I think that
if this movement is pushed forward, the whole world will be happy and it will glorify the prestige of India, which is considered to be the most holy place in the universe. I am forwarding a copy of this letter to Srimati Indira Gandhi to take necessary action in this connection. I am always prepared to meet you both in this connection, and I hope that such a meeting will be a great epoch in the human society for changing the chaotic condition. Hope this meets you in good health.
Your ever well-wisher,
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
cc: Srimati Indira Gandhi
     New Delhi

^ Show less

Our real friend Krsna will help us, not politicians

Everyone is hankering after santi [peace]. The santi formula is given everywhere in the sastra. And the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, is personally saying, "This is santi." What is this? bhoktaram yajna-tapasam sarva-loka-mahesvaram suhrdam sarva-bhutanam jnatva mam santim rcchati [Bg. 5.29]… Expand>

Everyone is hankering after santi [peace]. The santi formula is given everywhere in the sastra. And the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, is personally saying, "This is santi." What is this?
bhoktaram yajna-tapasam
sarva-loka-mahesvaram
suhrdam sarva-bhutanam
jnatva mam santim rcchati
 [Bg. 5.29]
Suhrdam sarva-bhutanam -- who? Not these political leaders. We are taking these political leaders as our friend and carried away by their dictation. Some political leader says, "You do like this," another political leader, "Do like that." If we want to take advice of real well-wisher, so suhrdam sarva-bhutanam. Similarly, a sadhu, he is also suhrdam sarva-dehinam, the same thing. As Krsna is the supreme friend, well-wisher, suhrt... Suhrt means good heart. Friend, mitra, it is little different from suhrt. Mitra means I make friendship with you with some motive. But a father, he is suhrt, mother is suhrt, always well-wishing. Or there may be some friend also, always well-wishing. But the best example, that the father is always well-wishing: "How my son will be well situated? How he will be happy?" Similarly, Krsna is... Krsna says that "When one can understand Me as suhrdam sarva-bhutanam," then santim rcchati, "then he will get santi, santatvam." When we accept it, firmly convinced that "Krsna is my father, Krsna is my friend, Krsna is my well-wisher..." And Krsna says. Where is the difficulty? Aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami [Bg. 18.66]. He takes charge. Kaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati [Bg. 9.31]. He is giving assurance.
mam hi partha vyapasritya
ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah
striyo vaisyas tatha sudras
te 'pi yanti param gatim
 [Bg. 9.32]
Everything is there. So on account of this dirty position of material contamination, we cannot accept Krsna as the real friend. Therefore we cannot get santi. So if we want really santi, then we must accept the formula, suhrdam sarva-dehinam jnatva mam, not this political leader, that political leader, no. They do not know what is the actually path of santi. They cannot. They do not have santi in themselves. How they can...? "Physician heal thyself." The physician himself is a diseased person, maya-mohita, so how they can help us? So this is not possible. We have to accept Krsna as suhrdam sarva-bhutanam jnatva: [Bg. 5.29] He is the proprietor of everything. Sarva-loka-mahesvaram. Mahesvaram. Isvara, mahesvaram. Paramesvaram. Mahesvaram or paramesvaram. Isvarah paramah krsnah [Bs. 5.1]. In this way, if we can understand that "Krsna is the proprietor, Krsna is the enjoyer, Krsna is my supreme friend," then we can get santi.


From Srila Prabhupada's lecture on Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.23-4 -- Bombay, January 1, 1975

^ Show less

Jagannatha and the fish-eaters

Jagannatha is another feature of Krishna, and He is especially favorable to the people who are not strictly advanced to the Brahminical culture of Vedic rituals. Lord Jagannatha is situated in India, at Puri; this place is one of the towns of Orissa province. And the people of Orissa and Bengal, they are sometimes fish-eaters, why sometimes -- about 90% population they are fish-eaters.… Expand>

Jagannatha is another feature of Krishna, and He is especially favorable to the people who are not strictly advanced to the Brahminical culture of Vedic rituals. Lord Jagannatha is situated in India, at Puri; this place is one of the towns of Orissa province. And the people of Orissa and Bengal, they are sometimes fish-eaters, why sometimes -- about 90% population they are fish-eaters. But Jagannatha Swami in Puri, He accepts service from these people although they are sometimes fish-eaters. So in the Kali yuga, the people are supposed to be not so clean, and therefore, service to Jagannatha Swami is preferred. So far service to Laksmi-Narayana, and Radha Krishna, it requires highly elevated position, transcendental to Brahmins. But still, either we serve Jagannatha or Radha Krishna, the effect is the same. But to facilitate the worship of the Lord in the Form of Jagannatha is more
congenial than others. But when anything is offered to Jagannatha, it does not mean that it is not taken by Krishna. So in the temple, although we offer to Jagannatha, it is also accepted by Krishna. Be rest assured of this fact.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Letter to: Dayananda, Nandarani  --  Montreal 24 August, 1968

^ Show less

This is the poison

Illicit sex is so dangerous. Everyone will be killed with the illicit sex. That is the difficulty -- falldown. What can I do? I have already given instruction. If they do not follow, they fall down. That is sure. So dangerous. And in our society it is very easy to have affair, so many girls are there. I can say "Don't do this," but if you do, what can I do?… Expand>

Illicit sex is so dangerous. Everyone will be killed with the illicit sex. That is the difficulty -- falldown. What can I do? I have already given instruction. If they do not follow, they fall down. That is sure. So dangerous. And in our society it is very easy to have affair, so many girls are there. I can say "Don't do this," but if you do, what can I do?

This is the poison, illicit sex, and this poison will kill everything. This is the poison. And I cannot understand whether I shall be able to save my disciples from this poison. This is the poison. They do not take it seriously, but in the beginning I said, "No illicit sex." These four principles, if they are not strictly followed, then he's victimized forever -- today or tomorrow.

That is the disease. They are now sexually desiring. Everyone is desiring, one who cannot control. Then they will break all the regulative principles. Everything will be happening. What can I do? Even they will not stick married life.

They are accustomed to break this law. It is very difficult for them. Their fathers, they have done so also -- every year thrice divorced, twice. What can I do? I have given the formula.



Srila Prabhupada, Room Conversation -- January 3, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Bhaktivinoda: distress is happiness

Bhaktivinoda Thakura has sung that: "When I work very difficult task for Krsna, that difficult task becomes very happiness for me. That difficult task becomes very happiness for me." That is the standard of happiness. In the material world, there is duality. In the absolute world, there is simply happiness.… Expand>

Bhaktivinoda Thakura has sung that: "When I work very difficult task for Krsna, that difficult task becomes very happiness for me. That difficult task becomes very happiness for me." That is the standard of happiness. In the material world, there is duality. In the absolute world, there is simply happiness. There is nothing else. Just like when Krsna is going to Mathura, all the gopis become very, very distressed, crying. But we cannot understand what is the happiness of that distress. That we cannot understand from this material point of view. That is greatest happiness. When the gopis were crying in separation from Krsna, that is greater happiness than meeting Krsna, than meeting Krsna. This is Krsna philosophy.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 2.36-37 -- London, September 4, 1973

^ Show less

The desire for relaxation and flexibility

They want relaxation, flexibility. That means that spiritually fallen, fallen down.… Expand>

They want relaxation, flexibility. That means that spiritually fallen, fallen down.

Srila Prabhupada, Room Conversation -- January 3, 1975, Bombay

^ Show less

Stubbornly refusing Krsna's cure

Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66], but we are revolting, "Why? Why shall I surrender to You? This is too much You are demanding." This is going on. This is the disease. And to cure the disease Krsna Himself comes. Yada yada hi dharmasya glanir bhavati, tadatmanam srjami [Bg. 4.7]. But we are so stubborn that we won't, do not like to be cured.… Expand>

Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66], but we are revolting, "Why? Why shall I surrender to You? This is too much You are demanding." This is going on. This is the disease. And to cure the disease Krsna Himself comes. Yada yada hi dharmasya glanir bhavati, tadatmanam srjami [Bg. 4.7]. But we are so stubborn that we won't, do not like to be cured.
So what Krsna will do? How Krsna will help? He is coming. He is sending His devotee. He is leaving behind Him the sastras.

[But the materialist] thinks that "What is the use of this slave mentality? This bhakti-marga is slave mentality. Instead of becoming God, they want to become servant or slave of God." No, this is not slave mentality. This is actual liberation, because our constitutional position is to remain. We are servant of Krsna. But somehow or other, we revolted. Still we are revolting.
Although Krsna coming and canvassing, "Just surrender unto Me," but still we are revolting. This is our disease.


From Srila Prabhupada's lecture on Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.23-4 -- Bombay, January 1, 1975

^ Show less

Srila Prabhupada transits in Karachi, Pakistan

Although we were not allowed off the airplane, no one objected when Prabhupada and I walked through the open door to stand for a few minutes at the top of the mobile stairway. Scanning the dilapidated airfield heavily guarded by soldiers, Srila Prabhupada shook his head. "Everything is so low class. This place has no importance; there is not one other foreign airline here. They wanted their independence from India, but what have they gained?"… Expand>

Although we were not allowed off the airplane, no one objected when Prabhupada and I walked through the open door to stand for a few minutes at the top of the mobile stairway. Scanning the dilapidated airfield heavily guarded by soldiers, Srila Prabhupada shook his head. "Everything is so low class. This place has no importance; there is not one other foreign airline
here. They wanted their independence from India, but what have they gained?"

From Hari-sauri Prabhu's "Transcendental Diary"

^ Show less

No need to research how we fell

Some way or other, originally, we are all Krsna conscious, pure... We cannot ascertain when this transformation took place. There is no necessity of making research how we fell in this material contamination or envelopment. But we should be intelligent enough to understand that we are fallen now. How we fell -- you can trace out the history, but it is very difficult because anadi karama-phale, nobody can ascertain.… Expand>

Some way or other, originally, we are all Krsna conscious, pure...  We cannot ascertain when this transformation took place. There is no necessity of making research how we fell in this material contamination or envelopment. But we should be intelligent enough to understand that we are fallen now. How we fell -- you can trace out the history, but it is very difficult because anadi karama-phale, nobody can ascertain. Just like when a man is diseased he goes to doctor. So when he goes to the doctor, the doctor gives him medicine according to the symptoms and the diagnosis. There is no necessity of find out the history, how he fell diseased. There is history, but that is not possible to trace out.

From Srila Prabhupada's lecture on Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.23-4 -- Bombay, January 1, 1975

^ Show less

Such fools

Fools who cannot perceive repeated birth and death and the other miseries of materialistic life cannot be sure of what will happen to them in their next birth. Indeed, these foolish, materially contaminated rascals have manufactured an irresponsible way of life that does not consider the next life. They do not know that according to one's own activities, one receives a body selected from 8,400,000 species. … Expand>

Fools who cannot perceive repeated birth and death and the other miseries of materialistic life cannot be sure of what will happen to them in their next birth. Indeed, these foolish, materially contaminated rascals have manufactured an irresponsible way of life that does not consider the next life. They do not know that according to one's own activities, one receives a body selected from 8,400,000 species. These rascals have been described in Bhagavad-gita as duskrtino mudhah. Nondevotees, those who are not Krsna conscious, must engage in sinful activities, and therefore they are mudhas -- fools and rascals. They are such fools that they do not know what will happen to them in their next life. Although they see varieties of living creatures eating abominable things -- pigs eating stool, crocodiles eating all kinds of flesh, and so on -- they do not realize that they themselves,
because of their practice of eating all kinds of nonsense in this life, will be destined to eat the most abominable things in their next life. A Vaisnava is always afraid of such an abominable life, and to free himself from such horrible conditions, he engages himself in the devotional service of the Lord.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 7.9.41

^ Show less

Srila Prabhupada is always in Vaikuntha

When I go to Los Angeles I am in Vaikuntha. When I am got to New York I am in Vaikuntha. Wherever we have got temple, that is Vaikuntha.… Expand>

When I go to Los Angeles I am in Vaikuntha. When I am got to New York I am in Vaikuntha. Wherever we have got temple, that is Vaikuntha.

Srila Prabhupada -- May 28, 1977, Vrndavana

^ Show less

<<  [1]  [2]  [3]  [4]  [5]  [6]  ...  [27]  [28]  [29]  [30]  [31]  [32]  [33]  [34]  [35]  [36]  [37]  >>