(From The Great Transcendental Adventure by Kurma Prabhu) Melbourne, 12 February 1973 Srila Prabhupada was due to depart mid-morning. As he relaxed and softly chanted japa in the airport departure lounge, his two young newly-initiated disciples, Sukla and Ganesa, applied sandalwood paste to his feet and forehead.
- I request you to continue following all of the regulative principles staunchly and encourage all other of my disciples in your preaching area to do the same. This is the most important thing. As soon as one discontinues his staunch following of the regulative principles such as no meat eating, no illicit sex, no intoxication, no gambling, rising early before 4:00, coming to mangala arati, chanting at least 16 rounds, etc., then his spiritual life is hampered and there...
- Prabhupada: We want to spread Krsna consciousness. Simply prepare yourself how to repeat Krsna's instructions very nicely, without any malinterpretation. Then, in future... Suppose you have got now ten thousand. We shall expand to hundred thousand. That is required. Then hundred thousand to million, and million to ten million.
- Acyutananda [reading question from audience]: "Catur-varnyam maya srstam [Bg. 4.13]: is it applicable to India alone, or the whole world?" Prabhupada: Whole world. Krsna, whatever Krsna speaks, it is for the whole world. Therefore we are creating brahmanas in the Western countries. You'll have to import brahmana from there. [laughter] As you are importing milk powder -- all cows finished -- so brahmana is finished. So you have to import brahmana from Europe and America.
- While commenting on this particular verse, we have in our presence the statement of a great modern politician who has recently died and left his will, which discloses his poor fund of knowledge of the codes of God mentioned by Maharaja Pariksit. The politician was so ignorant of the codes of God that he writes: "I do not believe in any such ceremonies, and to submit to them, even as a matter of form, would be hypocrisy and an...
- Alone with Prabhupada, I asked about book distribution and Deity worship. I asked why, if Deity worship was the process for self-realization in the last yuga, do we have it now? Wasn't sankirtana sufficient? He said that he had introduced worship of the Deity because, while there may arise differences of opinion about the distribution of books, on the point of there was only one standard on which all must agree. This would therefore maintain the purity of the...
- In Vrndavana there are so many temples, they have become, made a business by showing temple, collecting money. This is not good. Temple means people should come, people should learn the science of God. That is temple.
- (Told by Srutakirti Prabhu) It was easy to understand that Srila Prabhupada enjoyed chanting japa. He always stressed the importance of chanting our 16 rounds. He once told me that as a householder, he used a simple process for completing 16 rounds that we could apply.
- The order of Lord Caitanya: "By following My order, you become guru." And if we strictly follow the acarya system and try our best to spread the instruction of Krsna... Yare dekha tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa. There are two kinds of krsna-upadesa. Upadesa means instruction. Instruction given by Krsna, that is also krsna-upadesa, and instruction received about Krsna, that is also krsna-upadesa.
- You should be convinced that the Western people, they have no brain. Now this is brain-giving movement, para-upakara. They have no brain, and we have to educate them. Brain there is. The human brain is meant for that purpose. Even one is an ass, dull, he can be educated. That is there. Animals cannot be educated, but human being, even he is born like animal... Just like these children. If you don't educate them